GAME RECAP: WVU vs. Oklahoma State at Mountaineer Field - WVU Football, WVU Basketball, News - Mountaineer Sports

GAME RECAP: WVU vs. Oklahoma State at Mountaineer Field

Ryan Petrovich, MORGANTOWN -

The Mountaineers entered their match-up against Oklahoma State hoping to rebound after an embarrassing, shut-out loss to Maryland. They did just that. The big story of the day was once again the starting quarterback for WVU. Ford Childress who started the last two games sustained a pectoral muscle injury. Due to the injury, Clint Trickett was named the starter. Tricket went 24/50 for 309 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

"It was apparent the first four games, we weren't having fun on offense," said Trickett. "I think we got a right fit." "I got everyone around me, makes it easy for me."

The Cowboys started with the ball and got a break early. A 15-yard face mask penalty gave the Cowboys their first, first down of the game. However a holding penalty sent the Cowboys backwards and a sack by WVU's Brandon Golson ended the opening drive for the Cowboys.

Clint Trickett took the field for his first start as a Mountaineer and they too caught a break early as the Cowboy's defense committed a pass interference penalty to give the Mountaineers their first, first down of the game. However, the Mountaineers were forced to go three and out after the penalty.

The Cowboys would find the scoreboard on their next offensive possession. Quarterback J.W. Walsh found Josh Stewart on a short, dump pass. Stewart turned on the burners and scored a 73-yard touchdown for the Cowboys. The Mountaineers would trail 7-0 midway through the first quarter.

The Mountaineers were unable to answer on their next possession. Trickett would be intercepted on a deep ball by the Cowboy's Justin Gilbert for the team's first turnover of the game.

It would be WVU's defense who would knot the game up in a hurry. The Mountaineers came up with an interception of their own. Ishmael Banks picked off Walsh and returned it for a 58-yard touchdown making it a 7-7 game in the first quarter.

Banks during post-game interviews was ecstatic about his first career pick six. "Dream come true, dream come true, honestly," said Banks. "If we play hard we can play with anybody."

Despite another defensive stop for the Mountaineers. Trickett and the offense failed to get anything going. Trickett looked to be uncomfortable in the early going as the Cowboys were able to bring heavy pressure on him.

Another three and out forced by the Mountaineer's defense put the ball back into Trickett's hands. Trickett was able to gain yards with the help a catch and run by running back Charles Sims who made some shifty moves to pick up a first down.  Sims led the team in receiving yards on the day with five catches for 82 yards. A roughing the passer call also went in favor of the Mountaineers to help pick-up yardage. After a dropped touchdown pass by Ivan McCarney, Kevin White picked up the slack. Trickett found White open in the end zone for 17-yard touchdown pass to give WVU the lead late in the first quarter. 

After the defense forced another three and out, the Mountaineers would start the second quarter with a long completion to Sims. Trickett threw a perfectly placed ball to give the Mountaineers a big-time gain. However, the Cowboy's defense was able to drop running back Dreamius Smith in the backfield to force the Mountaineers to kick it away.

The Mountaineer's defense would continue to dominate. The defense scooped up a fumble committed by Jeremy Smith, the recovery occurred in the Cowboy's territory to give the offense excellent field position. The Mountaineers would capitalize on the good field position by tacking on a 45-yard field goal off the foot of Josh Lambert.

The Cowboys were finally able to move the ball on the Mountaineer's defense. Walsh marched the Cowboys down the field and found Tracy Moore wide open for the 27-yard touchdown. The Cowboys narrowed their deficit to 17-14 midway through the second quarter.

Trickett and company couldn't come up with an answer. Trickett threw his second interception of the day. Tyler Patmon picked the ball off deep in Mountaineer territory to regain possession for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys were unable to capitalize on the turnover. It was another strong showing by the Mountaineer's defense to bring up another punt.  A 13-yard punt would land the Mountaineers just over midfield for their next possession.

The Mountaineers would start the drive off with a fumble for a loss of eight yards but would quickly rebound, Trickett found Mario Alfred on a deep pass to put the Mountaineers in the red zone. After a completion to Cody Clay, the ball would be placed at the one yard line setting up a first and goal situation for the Mountaineers. Charles Sims would finish the drive off by taking the ball in for a one yard touchdown. The Mountaineer would increase their lead to 24-14 late in the second quarter.

Walsh would be able to take his offense down the field in the final seconds. Walsh avoided pressure from the Mountaineers and found Jhajuan Seales down the field for a 16-yard gain to put the Cowboys within field goal range. The Cowboys were held to a field goal. Ben Grogan's 44-yard attempt was no good. The Mountaineers would take a knee to end the first half with the lead, 24-14.

The Mountaineers would get the ball to start the second half, Ronald Carswell was tackled at the three yard line during the second-half kickoff to pin WVU deep in their own territory. The opening drive for the Mountaineers would amount to nothing but a three and out.

The Cowboys came out quick on their first possession of the second half and wasted no time finding the end zone. Walsh found an open Jeremy Seaton streaking down the middle of the field for a 30-yard touchdown. The Cowboys cut into the Mountaineer's lead, 24-21.

The Mountaineer would look to retaliate after a quick scoring drive from the Cowboys. The offense with a mix of pass and runs managed to get the ball within field goal range. Lambert's kick from 51-yards out was no good after the kick was partially blocked, leaving the score at 24-21.

The game then became a battle of field position. Both teams' exchanged punts for the majority of the third quarter. It wasn't until the Mountaineer's offense found life in the third quarter. With the help of a pass interference call and a long completion from Trickett to Carswell, the Mountaineers managed to find themselves in the red zone. The Mountaineers were unable to get the ball in the end zone and failed to connect on a 34-yard field goal. The score remained 24-21 at the end of the third in favor of the Mountaineers.

The Cowboys opening drive of the fourth quarter resulted in a three and out after a great stop by Shaq Rowell for the Mountaineer's defense. The Mountaineers would take over from their own 17-yard line.

During the Mountaineer's next possession Trickett was forced out of the pocket and was hit hard on the play. The Mountaineer's quarterback appeared to be shaken up on the play and was replaced by Paul Millard for the third and long. Millard hit his receiver but was well short of the first. The Mountaineers would punt the ball away. The Cowboys took the punt passed midfield giving them solid field position for their next drive.

The Cowboys managed to make good use of the short field. Walsh completed several passes to carve up the Mountaineer's defense. The Mountaineers defense would answer making a goal line stop and forcing the Cowboys to kick a field goal. The Cowboys 23-yard field goal was no good as the ball bounced off the upright. The Mountaineers would cling to a 24-21 lead midway through the fourth.

Rowell who was very outspoken when the team fell to Maryland spoke about this big-time goal stand. "We're just expected to be good like that," said Rowell. "Coach Holgorsen comes in and gives us the game plan and we execute it."

Trickett would return for the Mountaineers on their next possession but the offense failed to convert and punted the ball away.

Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson praised Trickett for his efforts after getting banged up. "He kept competing, it's one thing we hoped he'd would do" said Dawson. "He's a tough kid."

The Mountaineer's defense would return the favor, another great stand for WVU. The Cowboys punted deep in their own territory giving the Mountaineers solid field position. Trickett and company flew down the field. The offense's tempo looked excellent as the Mountaineers racked up yardage in a hurry. The drive would stall inside the 20-yard line. Lambert would connect on a 27-yard field goal to increase the Mountaineer's slight lead to 27-21.

The Cowboys would look to score a touchdown to take the lead but their efforts were squashed as the Mountaineer's defense came up with a big interception by Darwin Cook to regain possession for the Mountaineers.

The Mountaineers with good starting field were able to move the ball into field goal range. Lambert added three more for the Mountaineers. WVU would take a 30-21 lead late in the fourth quarter.

The Cowboys would be unable to answer on offense as the Mountaineers defense forced the Cowboys to turn the ball over on downs. The Mountaineers took the victory formation to seal the deal.

"The coaches and players stayed on course," said Head Coach Dana Holgorsen. "Got to the point where we played ball." "I am really proud of our team."

The Mountaineers would go on to pull off the upset taking down eleventh ranked Oklahoma State, 30-21.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVILL. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.